I was doing research for my Sirius Decisions Technology Exchange keynote session earlier this year, and came across a real job description for a Sales Operations Analyst that cracked me up. The company shall remain nameless, but needless to say, they want everything:
- B.A. or B.S. degree or equivalent
- 5-10 years solid sales operations experience
- Expert in “all things” SFDC is a must
- Experience in subscription-based and/or SaaS-based business, including quote-to-order process
- Experience in using using Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel (Pivots, Look-Ups, Filtering) and PowerPoint, Google Apps for Business, DocuSign, WebEx, and DiscoverOrg
- Self-starter with ability to work in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment
- Team player with strong cross group collaboration skills
- Experience with presentations to senior executives in sales, finance and/or operations
- Strong communication skills and management presence
- Superior problem-solving skills. Must be able to accurately compile and synthesize quantitative and qualitative data
- Excellent customer service attitude
- Have empathy
Let’s break this down a bit.
5-10 years solid sales operations experience
While Sales Operations roles and CRM technologies are nothing new, most folks who have been doing this well for 5+ years are in management roles. And some of the technologies that are used most aren’t even 5 years old!
“all things” SFDC
I promise you the man or woman that knows all things Salesforce knows they are much too valuable to join your firm.
So you want them to be a technical expert and know everything, but also have an executive presence?
strong cross group collaboration skills
And also must play nicely with others.
This is my favorite and the one I actually think is good! In fact, it’s one of the core talent characteristics I look for when I hire marketers. Taken all together, here is what this company is basically looking for: